» Holding College Chiefs to Their Words
Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm by Orchidee

» Need help with college essay ?!!
Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 am by Guest

» Do you believe in Destiny ?
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 am by nhatquang2403

» Power of Language - Nicolette Ash
Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm by tuongvan92

» A dozen principles of good writing - EXCLUSIVELY !
Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm by Orchidee

» [Proposal] Proofreading box
Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:37 pm by Orchidee

» Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton
Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:43 pm by Orchidee

Currently Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A book you would like to read the most? We will read together!! Vote available for [3] more days

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
17% 17% 
[ 1 ]
17% 17% 
[ 1 ]
17% 17% 
[ 1 ]
33% 33% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
16% 16% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 6

Currently Reading

Post by jackactforever4 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Wow, it's really amazed me by how a wonderful idea like this section haven't been fully developed. So I was thinking I should start off something in case that anyone interest in.
In case you haven't notice how reading came to a useful partner, I may tell you a little bit of my experience. I began reading when I was 5, that's when I astonished my parents by spelling out a newspaper headline [they hadn't really taught me how to read yet]. And when I went to elementary school, I was called a book-worm for I always spent my time crawling in the library finding something to read everyday. Well, finally the fact of being made fun among my friends really changed me; one day, before I knew it, the interest of fun-reading had gone. I was no longer called a book-worm and also, I didn't keep up with reading anymore.
For the fact that I was fooled by my self-esteem, cowardly scared of being a joke among my friends, yes, I really screwed up my life. It turned into a complete rubbish page that even a filthiest fly wouldn't dare to pass by [don't be scared by my way of talking about my life, take it easy] What I'm trying to say is that I really regret those days have passed, I was a soulless, unemotional person. That was until I eventually find my way back on my books. It was a pleasant afternoon, my electricity was suddenly out of use. I've got nothing to do, it was dark inside and once again, NOTHING TO DO! So I reached my hand to the book on the shelf which had been filled with tons of dust, and went to my garden where there's enough light and read it. At that moment, I almost cried, for I finally found a friend that was lost for a long time, a beautiful melody which I at the end remembered how to play, a sweet scent that lead me to the door of happiness. It felt like the world gathered around me, cherished every second, every line, every word.
Well, I hope you don't think I'm an insane guy with a crazy passion about books. What I really mean is that books can be a great friend that share a lot with you.
So since we are studying how to write well, it is crucial that we should take insight into books as well. For those who are studying for SAT [like me], it is ,more than ever, essential that you read classic novels for vocabulary and critical thinking.

I now, open a book club for everyone with the same interest to come and join. Like I tell you about my experience: books are great. If you are unfamiliar with it, or cannot find the reason why I was fond of books so much, it's totally OK. Let's find out together! I myself just reading some English novel lately [just another beginner only...^^]

So give me a comment about what you are currently reading so that everyone can find the book and read it together. We can state our view about a passage and how it is written that interest us, can ask a question debating against the writer view, tell everybody about a metaphor you just find out the meaning...anything!
I will draw a common novel that the most are reading. Then put on the poll for vote, and decide which of them should be read together. But right now, why don't you scroll to the end of the page, type in the white box your comment about this idea or the books you are currently reading.
All comments are welcome! Thanks!!!

Suggestions
+ For beginners: I, robot ; the railway children ; Black beauty ; Gulliver's travels ; Robinson Crusoe
+ For intermediate readers: Phantom of Opera ; The picture of Dorian Gray ; Pride and Prejudice ; Dracula ; Frankenstein ; Tom Sawyer ; Kite runner ;
+ For advance readers: Three Musketeers ; Tess of the D'urbervilles ; Sense and sensibility ; Hard times ; Ben Hur

I strongly suggest that all beginner readers should read all the recommended. Any question or hardship during your reading, don't hesitate to ask!
For intermediate readers: here's our plan: you will vote for one favorite book that you would like to read among all the suggestions. The poll will be available for 3 days, until then, please vote. After voting, the most favorite book will be read by all of us, any further discussion will be based on that book. And for the rest of them, if you are currently reading it, don't hesitate ask if you have a lot in mind!

P.S: Do also read An Outline of American Literature from Lan's blog: it's really crucial that you get a good reviews and choose a god book to read from them!
P.S: I strongly recommend you should read books in papers, not in ebooks since it would be difficult to read or to have critical thinking. For books that are cheap, try to find Wordsworth Classics [usually in Phuong Nam bookstore]

SPECIAL NOTE: all participants to this book club are advised to add my YM: jackact_forever4 so I can have a more personal look on your accomplishments. Well, you can ask me any questions including further understanding of the book, skills, personal stuff, mental issues, men physical problem [Hey, I'm a guy], relationships, hardship. Anything!
Some have been asking why I offer so much help, Smile , well, the answer is easy: I'd love to help. Helping you is also helping me to develop a more sufficient techniques in reading! So if there's something on your mind, just add my YM and ask away. All just cost to nothing! [I also need friends too Wink ]

Last edited by jackactforever4 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:42 am; edited 9 times in total

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

nice idea

Post by blackstork on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Hey guys, I got a website where we can find many interesting VNese and English ebooks : www.thuvien-ebook.com.
Uhm I'm reading a classical novel: The last of the Mohicans (James Fenimore Cooper). It's only a VNese edition, but it was translated really well. If someone loves adventure stories, this book will not disappoint you. But if you are a romance-addited, stay away from it, because I think Cooper had no talent in depicting strong affections.
To improve your English reading, I suggest you try The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux). Originally it was written in French. However, since it was translated with very formal language, your vocabulary will improve a whole lot. Especially if you are preparing for SAT.
blackstork

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Currently Reading

Post by jackactforever4 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Thank you for a wonderful idea, I really appreciate it! So one of our choice is Phantom of Opera...anyone has a suggestion to make?
For we will read the book together!

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orchidee on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Check out :D
http://outline-american-literature.blogspot.com/

This blog is a short version of the book "An Outline of American Literature"
by Peter B. High. I find this book not only very informative and
interesting-to-read but also helpful for high school students who
prepare to get into US colleges/universities. However, this book is not
so thin ( 768 pages). So, I think it is a nice idea if I re-write the
book to help you spend less time and help myself improving writing
skill. So, have fun with this blog ;-D
Orchidee

View user profile http://writesmart.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 pm

@Lan: I really admire the way you thought for all of us and yourself. Well, keep up the work, I may add your blog to one of my resources of reference!

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhatquang2403 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Have anyone read "pride and prejudice"? I'm reading that novel but I feel this one so soporific, not only about the writer's style but also about the content ( Just love,love, how to marry,....) which is probably suitable for girls ( like I'm a princess and one day I'll marry a handsome, affluent prince Smile ). However, the ways of writting is very common in every SAT book, reading,.... I don't know but I am feeling so impatient with this book. Can anyone tell me an abridge of the book's content and introduce some more interesting book like "animal farm" "1984" or "Sherlock holmes","robinson" with more actions because I think reading a book for studying is not as good as enjoying that book.
@blackstork: What is "the phantom of the opera"'s content? Is it a love story or something more interesting?
@ Jack: You 've said that you've read a lot!Do you have any book to recommend me? I prefer some active book with amazing content like "animal farm"," Sherlock Holmes", or " robinson".Thanks a lot!

nhatquang2403

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 pm

@Quang: indeed, I know what you feel like. Earlier, I found those romantic books really boring and somehow, becoming a kind of sleeping-pills. However, later on, I found an interesting method they called "setting the view" - which I may discuss tomorrow on another post, that may help you deal with all kind of novels you need to read and find it more interesting.
Anyway, for your style of writing and developing vocabulary, I suggest some horror novels. Well, you can read classics or modern novels as your wish - both are just the same. My suggestions are: Dracula, Frankenstein [this is a great book I'm about to touch, it surely contains 1000 needed words for SAT, you'd better read it if you're about to take the SAT tests], and Stephen King's series. Also, find yourself in some adventure novels like Gulliver's travels [it's kinda entertaining to read].
You can ask/share with me anything! Hope my help will be at need soon...hehe

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:16 pm

@Jack: you are sure one heck of a guy Smile hahaha... bravo!
Urg, I'm totally sick of romantic novels Sad no kidding, no kidding at all. It's not the boredom but the sickness of insane love that makes me crazy! Blame myself for taking my friends' suggestion too far. Here, I'm talking about "The Twilight Saga" by Stephanie Meyers. The first book is "Twilight", which has been translated in Vietnamese under the name of "Chạng vạng." It was OK but just wait until the second got out, you will see what I mean. So, if you can, Jack, help me digest those upcoming romantic novels of our club. Thanks a lot.

I'd like to read "Frankenstein." I've received a lot of suggestion from my friends to read it.

If you are interested in non-fictional books, I recommend "Freakonomics." I have just finished the translated version today, and will work on the expanded and revised version in English pretty soon. I beg for my pardon because I know we'll mostly read novels here. But "Freakonomics" is just a so-darn-good book that I want to suggest everyone to read it Smile

Btw, I have this funny problem: after reading a really good book, a book that makes my night grows longer, my rest room's time more useful and occupies my mind with a lot of thoughts Wink, I can hardly read another book, feeling saturated! I don't know if anyone has the same problem as mine. But if there is someone and knows how to treat it, please tell me.
lifedesigner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:09 pm

@lifedesigner:
Well, in case you haven't notice, almost everybody has the same problem. One possible reason to explain that matter is THE BOOK IS BORING and you just tried to convinced yourself that the book was good. That might result from you friend told you: "ohh, you should read that book, that's the greatest book I've read" and made a lot of exclusive points to prove it. But that was not your opinion. Ask yourself seriously if the book was really boring or not, and next time: DON'T TORTURE YOURSELF READING STH YOU DON'T LIKE, and try sth else
Another possible reason is THE BOOK IS ON A SUBJECT THAT INTEREST YOU A LOT. Well, that's good news!! When you read a book, simply just the words flowed in your head, the idea did not. Therefore, you just understood only some grammar points, some interesting new words [trust me, almost everybody reads English book for VOCABULARY]. But after that, the ideas are formed in your head, and that's what makes you twisted your brain thinking about a matter that you should have thought while reading! In that case, you should learn how to read critically: TRY TO CATCH THE IDEA, NOT THE VOCAB OR GRAMMAR POINTS! And how do you do that? Ask yourself as many question as you read, it will help you think about the subject and also give you answers that you won't have to think about them after reading. Well, hope that helps! [if it doesn't, tell me, I'll figure sth out ^^]
For romantic novels - especially Twilight - trust me, I've been there myself. It caught my eyes the first place by some critics' reviews "The book has the potential to steal the first place from Harry Potter", and my friends' suggestion: "come on! You don't want a book this great to be on your shelf". Well, after reading the books, it's really not that awesome. First, the book keeps on describing about the same thing that readers may think they know all, which makes the book's not interesting. Second, the love story here isn't really close to readers or makes them understand. I suggest if you don't like the book, just stop reading it. There's a hundred thousand love stories out there for you to read. And if you need suggestion for romantic novels, I would say, for you, Chicken Soup for Lovers - find that book, and read it. It's not so complicated with many details for the same old love story, in fact, it contains a lot of different romantic stories - you won't get bored or sick of insanity in emotion [like in some other love novels ] soon. And wonderfully, it's so close to life - not so fantasy and complicated - it can be a humor that busted out to be love, or a simple sense of inner beauty that attracts, or a simple accident could bring a couple. Hope that advice helps [if it doesn't, tell me ^^]
I don't understand your funny problem at the end actually, can you be more specific? [maybe I can help]

Last edited by jackactforever4 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm

@Jack:
Ask yourself seriously if the book was really boring or not, and next time: DON'T TORTURE YOURSELF READING STH YOU DON'T LIKE, and try sth else

Haizz... I also have this bad habit, if I have started to read or watch something, my curiosity forces me to finished till the end. Or else my mind would be full of questions, even though that book or movie is totally absurd!

My problem is that, when I have finished a book, a really interesting book that occupies my mind with a lot of question and ideas, I would feel like my mind is so full, saturated with thoughts. Thus I couldn't start on another book right away. After eating your dinner, you will feel full, right? It's the same to me when I read a book, which I "eat" about 10 pages each time, several times a day.

Chicken Soup for Lovers sounds interesting, where can I find the English version, Jack?
lifedesigner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:49 pm

@lifedesigner: OK, I see your problem right now. Actually, I have the same kind of problem too. It takes time to read another book when you mind is full of thoughts that haven't been answered. However, you can read another book on a same subject, it may help. For example: when you finished reading an economic book which still has an effect on you, try reading another economic book which have a different view or a view that is similar to the old one. You may find all answers for you thoughts after that
About the Chicken Soup, the real name of the book is Chicken Soup for the Soul Love Stories. However, I don't know yet where to download it, I read it once in a bookstore. I will tell you where to download if I know as soon as possible.
Glad I would be at help!

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:02 pm

Hey, that's a pretty good idea! Haha... you help me a lot this time, Jack. Hope that I can help you some other times, just to pay back Wink
lifedesigner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Smile That's not much help I can give you there. And for payback times, there are plenty, don't worry! Razz

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blackstork on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Hey guys, we have got a lot of ideas. I strongly recommend that we make a list !!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me start first Embarassed
Beginner:
_ I,robot (Isaac Asimov) : Sciene fiction
_ The railway children (Edith Nesbit) : children
_ Black Beauty (Anna Sewell) : animal
_ Chicken Soup for the Lovers: suggested by Jackactforever
All of them are very thin Razz
Intermediate:
_ Phantom of the Opera : Horror and romance
_ The picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wild) : don't know how to classify it, st about morality.
_ Pride and Prejudice : Romance
Advance :
_ The book about Literature suggested by Lan, forgot its name, sorry Embarassed
_ Specialized books about history, economy, geography blahblahblah (they are horribly thick, OMG @ study )
Anyway, I don't like Pride and Prejudice, it's ... boring, sorry.
blackstork

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:44 pm

thanks for a wonderful idea, I will update them! I won't be long writing some reviews of those books!

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lifedesigner on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:02 am

So do we read the same book and discuss about it? Are we divided into groups, like: beginner, intermediate, and advance and each will receive a book to read, then make a summary, write some critics, etc. ?
lifedesigner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CLiff on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:01 pm

That's great idea, why don't we start with a intermediate one? Jackactforever, please recommend us one, and we start, ok?
CLiff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:17 am

Well, that's what I intended to do in the first place. But it seems like we did not agree on what book to read. I've already posted the suggestions. Now, I'm making a poll for vote. Then we ALL can read the same book, write some critical points that you find interesting
All you have to do now is VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOOK AMONG THE SUGGESTIONS!

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top