» Holding College Chiefs to Their Words
Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm by Orchidee

» Need help with college essay ?!!
Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 am by Guest

» Do you believe in Destiny ?
Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 am by nhatquang2403

» Power of Language - Nicolette Ash
Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm by tuongvan92

» A dozen principles of good writing - EXCLUSIVELY !
Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm by Orchidee

» [Proposal] Proofreading box
Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:37 pm by Orchidee

» Hiking to Understanding. Accepted by Princeton
Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:43 pm by Orchidee

[For intermediate readers] Frankenstein

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[For intermediate readers] Frankenstein

Post by lifedesigner on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:54 am

FIRST WEEK

The first words I want to inform all you guys are:

DON'T READ THE INTRODUCTION ABOUT THE BOOK!!!

Why not? One: it's obviously long! Two: it will tell you about the story. So don't get it spoiled.

We are very sorry to tell you this late. From now on, to make more fun and pleasures out of reading, you can pass on the introduction about the story. There is a part of the book, which tells about the author. It's OK to read if you want to know who this 'talented' writer is.

Move on to the next part that we all know-A Little Summary!

In the beginning of the book, there were four letters, which were written by Robert Walton to his dearing sister from the far north of London. Throughout his letters, it was revealed that Walton had a great desire for traveling and discovering unknown places to human knowledge. Besides that, Walton also had "the want of a friend." In the wide opened sea, Walton was like a little fish try to swim far and deeply to the unknown water. The travel alone had made him hunger for companies. This hunger had been fulfilled when he and his crew found a man on a fragment of ice, stuck in the sledge, with his legs frozen and the only concern of chasing a creature. Walton was easily affected by the miserable yet interesting man's cultivated mind. They shared many conversation while the man was recovering. It was not until Walton shared the desire to acquire the knowledge he sought that the man showed his utterly gloomy emotion. That was when the whole story rolled over and began with.

Note: I think we should read a couple more of chapters to get the whole scene in the view. Then we can make another little summary Smile

Critical Reading:

Honestly, the book was so formally written that beat me out. There were many words that I don't understand. So I have a little question to ask you guys here: Why does Mary Shelley make Walton describe his lieutenant as a man having dauntless courage? Dauntless means fearless and courage means facing something without fear. So they are saying about the same thing. Why should Mery put them together? As J told me, it's a pretending-to-be-fearless. If it's so, I still don't understand why she has to describe the lieutenant, who got enough Walton's attention to get along on the vessel, in such way. There are two possible answers here:
1/ Mary tried to implant something about the character before told; something would matter in the latter of the story.
2/ Mary tried to emphasize the man's courage.
Maybe we can find out after we have finish reading the book.

OK, now it's your turn, what did you find out as interesting, even hard to understand while you were reading? Please, share with us.
lifedesigner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [For intermediate readers] Frankenstein

Post by jackactforever4 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks for the great post. Actually I was about to post my own summary for the chapter but didn't get a chance, but this is greater, I think!
For the part of "dauntless courage", like I said before, it's just my opinion about the use of words from Mary. It can be draw out from her life that she married a already-married-once guy. He was a student of her father who is famous for his wisdom. His love and Mary was forbidden by her father because that guy had already been married. He, then, planed to run away with Mary and later, got married since her ex-wife is dead.
That was her life. During the incident, she wrote the book. Therefore, her use of words usually reflects a keen insight of character, not just the event. Just like her husband, she showed the deepest love for her male characters (almost all); so I think that by "dauntless courage", she means beside the rough and tough look of the man, deep down can be found a noble and sweet guy
Hope this explanation could be helpful. But hey, that's just my opinion: BE CRITICAL (don't agree with me so easily!)

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CLiff on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:33 am

It seems fortunate for me to not have an introduction to read ( or I didnít try to have one). The book is really hard to read at first. Letter 1 and 2 took me some time to read and understand, and I grew a bit more comfortable when going on to letter 3 and 4. Too many new words! @
Okay, here is my little summary:
Via R. Watsonís letters sent to his sister, he appeared as a person of passionate personality. Having been surrounded with books about voyages in his childhood, he showed obvious ardor to discover lands that people had not set foot on. This led to an expedition to the north pole- Ďthe country of eternal lightí. During the trip on a hired vessel, although he was filled with enthusiasm for success, he had no friend to share his joy and disappointment. Therefore, Watson felt fortunate to have the gentle and disciplined lieutenant assist him. The lieutenant, however, is uneducated and seemed unable to understand and even help Watson on the plan. Later on, they found a nearly destructed man on an iceberg. This man, an European, was chasing for a Ďdemoní and as he was recovering, he share some conversations with Watson. The captain was very excited with the present of the guest, who was like a brother. At the end of letter 4, the man decided to tell his story to his new friend Watson.

I feel that the manís story is also the main story of the book. I read really slowly, so please donít make it too fast. Here is something I want to ask you, itís rather personal: Watson voluntarily endured hardship, left behind his country and money to undertake the expedition. Will you chose to live with your dream like Watson, despise loss of wealthy and a life with ease that you may have?
Itís still a writing club, right? So if you find any mistakes in my writing, let me know .
confused
CLiff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:32 pm

@Cliff: I apologize to you and everyone that I don't actually have time to write a possible answer to your question right now cuz my little time doesn't allow me to. I will try to write as soon as possible.
Don't you worry. We are not so fast, as I can see, we are rather slow Smile About mistakes in writing: I will try to answer soon
Once again, sorry much!

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jackactforever4 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Proudly to say, now I am available. Sorry for those absent time that I caused. Since I have to teach 5 night classes every weekdays to those of the orphanage, I don't have time for myself and for beloved Writesmart reading club. I am terribly sorry for the delay I brought to our project. To make up for that, I am delightful to answer every questions made by readers, correct the slightest mistakes without notice in your writing, and a few notes along with techniques of reading and writing I have come to conclusion for myself. Once again, I will do my best as an apology, I will share secret you have never read from anyone else. Just post your questions, your writings, your review or shine your opinion! I will make sure you won't be ignored!

@lifedesigner: thanks again for keeping our project working! I owed you much!
@Cliff: I want to make a few notes of your easy-to-make-by-anyone mistakes. Well, I just point out so you will have time to correct them by yourself [if you can't correct them, tell me, I will help]. In your writing, verb tenses are ambiguous. That could cause you and the readers big trouble making sense out of your writing: first you took us to your first impression in the past but then occasionally, you drew us back to the present without caution; we are shocked, of course. Try to improve your writing first by correcting every tenses.
About your style of writing [well, this piece of advice isn't for the review you wrote, it's for other writings you have made in the forum. I kinda love your review here ^^], simply I didn't get a chance to know you well but I can assume that you haven't actually developed a sense of style right? That's normal, don't worry! Almost everyone doesn't! Why? You're probably preparing to take the TOEFL test and SAT right? Apparently that's almost why everybody is here for. But I want to make one point clear, writings/essays that you put into TOEFL and SAT CANNOT fit in the real life. And also, the process of writing should be different! When you write essays for TOEFL and SAT, you will have to follow these instructions: develop a plan, sketch your approach, write then add or correct any points you've made. In real life, if you want to have a style, you have to follow these steps: gather your materials, make plan and approach then finally you can write. I will make one post in the writing section to make a this thing clear. But obviously, what I am trying to say here is writing in real life isn't the same way to ace the TOEFL or SAT, you have to write with style.
You guys got another promise from me: I will post another tip about writing style in real life!
About your question, I would take the same road as Watson. No matter where you stay, you can't just expect ease from life. Needless to say, hardship comes but others are gained without our notice. Imagine Watson could live the way contradictory to what he chose, his life could turn upside down. One morning he woke up, he found himself sitting across the luxuries that any one can fantasize of; he would walk around in his bare feet exposed to the befeathered rug that covered the floor for which he had spent a fortune to get it done. Fantasy enough, he could just sit by the table and rang a small bell by the empty dish; and before he knew it, the first meal was served, but the table was empty - no one but him ate the cold, rich of nutrients meal. It could be a enormous room he slept, but it could be bigger in his emptiness of knowledge that he wanted to conquer. Well, no, I don't think he could be satisfied by living like that. Every men foolishly thought that he could just live with the flow of live in an easy way just to avoid hardship; in fact, mental difficulties are what he is about to face. So could Watson! He could have thought of the hardship he has to overcome, he could have feared. But "dauntlessly" [as discussed above] he took a chance knowing that he could detain his ease of mind and satisfy his deepest desire for knowledge.
I hope that could help! ^.^

jackactforever4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top